Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Atomic Girl and Maisie Dobbs

So, I just finished two books, one, MAISIE DOBBS by Jacqueline Winspear I read on the plane on the way to Seattle. It was recommended to me by one of the volunteers at the library...and it is a mystery! What I loved about it was that it took place after World War I in England. The heroine was a nurse during the war...and she has started her own business. The story has the mystery she solves AND gives background story about her. Apparently this is the first in a series of books. I can't wait to read another. I really enjoyed the historical fiction/mystery mix!

And, I finished ATOMIC GIRL by Teri Hein in the doctor's office today, I started it in Seattle and read more of it on the plane ride back. This is a memoir of a girl who grew up on a farm in Eastern Washington...so most of the places she talks about in the book, I know of them. Also, she is growing up during the Cold War. There is a lot of history in the book as well, of her and of the land. The concern of radiation exposure to those who farmed and lived in Eastern Washington...and the reality of the deaths of those she knew and loved with cancer....of various types. This is both a book that talks about growing up on a farm...and exposes some parts of American History that may not have been so great. I recommend this book to those who live in the Spokane area...and for those who don't. The historian in me loved the look at how Eastern Washington was developed.

And, I am re-reading ECLIPSE by Stephenie Meyer to get myself ready for the release of BREAKING DAWN this weekend!

No comments: