Monday, March 7, 2011

The Widow of the South

By Robert Hicks...recommended to me by several people I decided to listen to this book.  The characters are voiced differently and the book focuses on the town of Franklin, TN during the Civil War and after.  The McGavock farm is made into a Confederate hospital just before the battle that takes place in Franklin, TN...there the woman of the house, Carrie McGavock, meets men and boys who have been injured fighting the war.  Several years later a wealthy landowner decides to plow his field which is full of the dead from the war...Carrie makes a decision that will change the rest of her life.  I was moved by the different stories...while this was fiction I believed many of the reasons men and boys fight were addressed.  There were both Union and Confederate points of view.  There were people of the town whose lives were interrupted by the war.  It was a great book and I highly recommend!

No comments: