Sunday, July 12, 2009

Eight Grade Bites


Chronicles of Vladmir Tod Book 1 by Heather Brewer...so, many vampire books are coming out in the wake of Twilight's success...and I find myself wanting to read some of them. My measure is still Anne Rice as the queen of all vampire writing...and to be honest you can't go wrong with Bram Stoker's Dracula either. But...these are teen books so I definitely want to try them out. So, I picked this first of a series out the other day and read it in an evening. Vladmir Tod is an eighth grade boy going through typical eighth grade things...but he is also half vampire, half human (is this even possible?). He survives because his guardian, an aunt, is a nurse and takes blood that is about to expire and brings it home for him to eat. She fills sandwiches, etc with blood so he can eat regular food with regular people. His best friend knows he is a vampire (why doesn't he tell everyone?) and keeps his secret. Someone is after Vladmir and killing people to get to him...but Vladmir is concerned about the school dance and a certain girl he is falling for...typical teenage issues packed into a book with vampires on the prowl...I will definitely read the next one...but I can't say I recommend it highly or anything. Sometimes I really enjoy a teen read...this was just okay. But I am sure there are plenty of teens out there who would enjoy this...and since this is from a guy's perspective, I think recommending to tween and teen guys would work just fine!

No comments: